Ward Luau
The day following Scott's promotion ceremony our ward had it's annual Ward Luau. This is a pretty big deal here. People practice for months leading up to this event. Each auxiliary does a different dance from any of the Polynesian Islands. Madelyn and I were invited to participate this year and every Friday for about 3 months we went to practice. Madelyn was in the senior primary hula, they performed "Little Grass Shack."
and I performed in the Relief Society Tahitian dance! I cannot believe I was brave enough to actually do it. It all started when I was talking to a sister I hadn't met yet and she mentioned that she was a Tahitian dance teacher. I told her that when we go to the Polynesian Cultural Center, the Tahitian dances were my absolute favorite, those hips, the drums, I love it. She then told me, "great, then you can learn how to do it when I teach the Relief Society Tahitian for our ward luau!" Heck yes, I thought! Little did I know how hard it was going to be to learn how to shake my hips in such a way. My hips were so sore at first! Luckily there were some beautiful dancers that I could dance with to disguise me. I'm so thankful they didn't kick this haole out! I had so much fun learning something new.
A couple weeks before our performance I felt like I finally had the dance down, then our teacher said, "ok everyone now we are going to talk about our solos!" She wanted us to grab someone from the audience and do a solo with them. I wanted to grab Scott so bad but he threatened that he would absolutely NOT do it, so he offered Rylan money to dance with me in his place! Rylan agreed to do it for the low price of $10. He was such a good sport! A couple of the dancers in our group had been dancing for a long time. They had been performers in the main show at the Polynesian Cultural Center, so they were really good! They were amazing, both them and their husbands that they pulled up on stage! They had a whole routine planned out and it had me hooting and hollering "Cheeeeoooo!" Which is Hawaiian slang that my Tahitian sisters taught me for wahoo, or yay.
Comments