Madelyn's Cheer with Mom As Assistant Coach

This Fall Madelyn and I joined a cheer team together. Her dance teacher Isabel signed up to be a coach and she asked if I wanted to be her assistant, I told her I had no cheer experience but I would help her with the girls, and that was good enough for her. We had practice twice a week and were able to march in the Heartland Parade together. We were assigned to cheer for the Browns football team, and we had 8 girls on our team, 7 who were brand new to cheerleading. Two of the girls were 4-5 and that posed an interesting struggle because their attention span wasn't very long. But we sure had fun with them anyway! 








 Here are the younger girls taking a break from cheering on my lap, Mia and Jayana were so funny! Mia liked to randomly play with my hair and Jayana would go into the splits at the drop of a hat and she was a screamer!










Madelyn was elected to be the flyer, she is light and pretty steady on her feet.  We cheered at about 8 games, then at the beginning of November,  we had a cheer competition with all of the cheer teams. Isabel worked so hard at teaching the girls a routine that had all of the elements that they were looking for. It was a bit difficult because all of our girls are new and can't do flips or any really difficult things, but she put in as many as she thought they could do.

We practiced so hard and the girls would get something, then have trouble with something else. It was so frustrating because we wanted them to have fun out there but we also didn't want them to make fools of themselves!

 We were able to go through our routine about 30 minutes before we had to perform, and the girls tanked, like they forgot steps, when to come in, they couldn't even do their lifts properly! Isabel and I were freaking out, but trying to keep it in because we didn't want to scare the girls. We corrected their mistakes as best we could in the short amount of time we had, then we had to get in line to perform.   And the girls did great!!! We ended up placing 2nd out of 6 teams in their age group.


Madelyn had a great time with her friends, Lauren and Sariah and I loved spending extra time with her too.
At the end of the season, we had a spa party for the girls. We did nails, face masks, and I made them eye masks, scrunchies, and hair towels.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dare Essay winner

Grandpa & Grandma Young Visit

Rylan and the Beginning of Mission Prep