Ian John 1-11-11
Our little boy was born on Tuesday the 11th. Hooray! The day started out nerve-racking! I had been put on the waiting list to be induced on the 11th, so when I called on the 10th asking if they had room for me they said they would call the next day by 12:00 p.m. When they didn't I called them and they said they would call me back! Ugh! They did as they promised (it must have been because they heard Scott scream "please!" in the background) after about 30 minutes and asked if we could come in at 2 p.m. Hooray! We got ready, said goodbye to the kids, and took some pictures. I swear I doubled in belly size in my last 2 weeks!
We headed to the hospital, that is when the nervous feelings hit! The "what ifs?" but I was quickly put at ease by a gentle nurse who was calm, and wonderful. Her name was Susie. She got us ready and we started the pitocin at about 3:15ish. I was already having steady contractions but nothing that was that painful, I was still at a 3 which was suprising to us because I was at a 3 the week before! After about 45 minutes of pitocin the heavy contractions started to come about 5 minutes apart, my water broke on it's own (just as the dr was in the parking lot coming to break my water) at 4:40 p.m. I was then dialated to a 5. The epidural man was in the OR, so we endured the pain for about an hour longer then Dr. Silver was at my rescue, did the amazing epidural, and life was good! After the epidural was in I was dilated to a 6.
Between about 5:40 - 6:30, I went straight from a 6-10 cm! Our nurse who had changed to Erin because Susie's shift was up, was so great! She was just the cutest little thing, about 5 months pregnant herself. She kept coming in and checking for dilation and was amazed that it was going so fast. At one point I was watching the baby's heart monitor and when I was having a heavy contraction his heart rate would drop waaayyy low! Like we are talking in the 40's! I flipped, grabbed Scott's arm and told him to get the NURSE! She ran right in (she was watching on the monitor in the hallway), and checked us again, and said as long as the heart rate goes back up when the contractions ease up everything is ok. She handed over her other paients to another nurse and stayed with us. Checking almost every 10-15 minutes, here are some of her quotes:
"well you are a 7 now"
"oh already an 8, wow!"
"geez, you are a 9, I better call the dr"
at 6:30 we were at a 10 waiting for the dr, just making small talk, that epidural was so amazing because I could totally feel the urge to push, yet it was not painful. It was hard not to. I could hear my dr talking down the hallway, and my nurse and I looked at each other and said, "oh there she is!" She ran in put her hair in a ponytail, told us thank you for waiting until after her son's karate practice, and they got the room ready. She checked under the sheet, and said, "yep there he is, his head is just barely poking through!" After about 3 pushes, Ian was born at 6:52 p.m. He screamed for about the first 40 minutes of his life. That labor was so fast and traumatic!
He weighed 7 pounds 5 ounces, and was 20 inches long.
He was pretty sad and didn't stop crying until he got a bath and the nurse was massaging his head. Ahh he loved that!
The next day we had his first visitors:
Grandma, Grandpa, and his big brother and sister!

Are we really a family of 5 now?The kids were so excited, well more like Rylan was excited. I told Rylan all a long that when he came to visit us at the hospital he could be the first to hold Ian. Maddy liked to pet his head, his hair is extremely soft like down feathers, she thought he was funny because his arm kept swingup and bonking her in the face! She gave him about 30 seconds of her attention then she was off doing her own thing.

Our first night in the hospital, Scott didn't want to leave Ian in the nursery because, "people are more likely to steal the baby with hair!" That is a direct quote, so I told him that he could be in charge of him when he was not eating. This is how he slept with him . . .
Here we are all ready to go home

Comments