A Hoogland Christmas

First we must celebrate our dear Anna. It was her birthday on the 23rd! I gave her a manicure, and made her a candy bar dessert!





For Christmas this year we had my mom and dad and my sister Anna come to our house! It was a blast, and we were really thankful that they could come to our house since I am a big, hormonal mess of a pregnant lady! Christmas wouldn't be Christmas unless we had our "Night Before Christmas" puzzle! We actually were working on two different puzzles here. Notice Scott in the background with his headset, he wants to be in a boy band! No, really he was playing Halo on X-box Live.
For Christmas Eve dinner we had the famous Wienerschnitzel! Mom always makes this and it is delicious. We also had a caesar salad and roasted vegetables.





After dinner we had our Christmas Eve program. We grew up as kids acting out the nativity. Since there was just the two kids we decided that they could be the stars of the show. We had a perfect Mary and Joseph. The trick was to keep Madelyn still, and convincing her to dress up. Mom read the nativity story as the kids walked to the stable and laid baby Jesus in a manger, well actually Maddy threw baby Jesus into the manger because she couldn't bend down in her costume. We also listened to "Handel's Messiah" when the angels came and sang "Glory to God"









Rylan took the part of playing Joseph very seriously. He was a calm, seasoned actor. None of his typical sillyness came out. He did a great job! Next we set out cookies for Santa and carrots on our deck for the reindeer. Rylan also left a note for Santa asking if Rudolph was real.

After the kids went to bed we played a roaring game of Quiddler and waited for Santa to come, and for a certain 2 year old girl to stop singing and talking to herself in her bed.



Christmas morning Rylan woke up at about 4:30, but was told to go back to bed. Then he woke up at 7 and went into the living room and waited for what seemed like an eternity for all of us to get up. Madelyn slept in until 8! Here they are waiting to go downstairs to see if Santa had come! Can you see the anticipation on their faces!?


Santa DID come! He brought Madelyn a baby that she can feed who also talks, drinks and burps! She also got every baby accessory you could imagine so she can take care of her baby while mommy takes care of new baby Ian.







Rylan finally got a Wii! After about 3 years of asking, Santa was able to bring him one! Rylan was stoked and wanted to end Christmas right then and there! He played for the whole day I think!




I love this picture!

After we saw what Santa brought, we had cinnamon rolls and a strata for breakfast. Then we went downstairs to finish opening presents. Scott and I really wanted a simple Christmas this year, we seem to go over the top with our kids, then completely regret it a month later. So we decided to simplify, each kid got two items. HOWEVER we did not expect our family and friends to completely spoil us! We kept getting package after package in the mail! Our postman had to come to our house early in the morning to get rid of the packages on his truck so he had room to maneuver he would say! Thanks everybody!


Madelyn also recieved some princess dresses and a playdough set (she was done with clothes by this time of the day)









I made mom and dad a calendar for the year with all of our pictures on it. And Anna and I got matching headbands! Can you tell I am 9 months pregnant in this picture? Wowza!



Scott completely knocked my socks off when he got me an enhancement for my wedding ring! We had talked about doing this, maybe on our 10th, 15th or 20th anniversary, but he wanted to surprise me. My original ring was just the one in the center, but the enhancement ring is the four diamonds on the side. Of course I can't even wear it yet due to swollen hands, but after the baby comes we will get it all put together to make one ring. Beautiful! So that is what he was doing when he had my ring cleaned! Sneaky! Guess what romantic gift I got Scott? A Ninja Blender! HA HA! He has been whipping up shakes, smoothies, and virgin margeritas for all of us! YUM!

We had a great Christmas. We also had a fun New Years with the same crowd plus Margaret, Jeff, Erica, Ben, and baby Elizabeth, but I didn't get one picture! I might steal some from Anna and do a post later!

Comments

After reading this I feel like i was with you guys for Christmas! You look so good Leah! I can't believe you are about to deliver this baby! It actually sort of looks like a fake prego pillow you are just wearing around to trick everyone...guess we'll find out soon enough :) Scott, you are such a romantic---love it!
Great post and great pictures!! I personally love the picture of you giving Anna a manicure and how she is looking at you while both of you are smiling! That's a sweet sister picture!!!
etreiersen said…
What a beautiful ring!

Popular posts from this blog

Dare Essay winner

Grandpa & Grandma Young Visit

Rylan and the Beginning of Mission Prep