No heart stealing!

As I was cleaning up after dinner tonight (while Rylan was still eating it) I randomly asked him if he ever wanted to get married someday. Our conversation went on as follows:

Leah: Hey Ry do you ever want to get married someday?
Rylan: NO!
Leah Why not?
Rylan: Because I don't want anyone to take my heart.
Leah: What do you mean?
Rylan: When you get married you have to give them your heart.
Leah: ohh, honey that is just an expression. When you love someone with your heart, you give your love to them, not your real heart.
Rylan: No, mom I know these things.
Leah: But Rylan I still have my own heart,if I didn't have my heart I wouldn't be alive. Want to feel my heart beating.
Rylan: Umm yes.
{So we both put our heads on each others chest to hear each others heart beat.}
Leah: See I still have my heart, but I give my love to your daddy with my heart.
Rylan: No, mom I know that when you marry someone you have to give them your heart.
Leah: whatever...

So I tell Scott about this conversation a couple minutes later and so when he saw Rylan next he asked, "Rylan, will you ask mommy if I can have my heart back she took it from me." Thanks Scott for helping me explain this concept to our son.

Comments

I read this aloud to Chip and he and I both got a good little laugh from it!
What a funny guy!
I love how dead-set on a concept he gets and how literal kids are at his age :) Hey, at least you don't have to worry about losing your son to some hottie! He's bound to be a ladies man, so you'll have to remind him of this conversation someday! FYI expect something in the mail :)
manderskids said…
Kids know everything! Just ask Anna. the other day she told me, "Mom, i know everything because I'm in second grade."
Super Angie said…
Hahahahahaha!!!!! I'm dying. That was too funny. I love how you thought to have Ry Guy feel your heart. I hope some day that I'm that cool of a mom. By the way, I would have punched Scott...
Kim and family said…
He is such a funny kid! I hope you guys had a nice Thanksgiving.
Once again proving that if Scott hadn't married you we would have kicked him out of the family--He had to marry a sweet kind person to balance out that "Hoogland" honeriness--Thank goodness Rylan only got 50% of Scott's genes--there is hope--the running around in underware thing--you might be stuck with though--sorry! KK

Popular posts from this blog

Dare Essay winner

Grandpa & Grandma Young Visit

Rylan and the Beginning of Mission Prep