Spring Break 2021- Brimstone ATV Park

For spring break we wanted to get out of the house and enjoy nature. Rylan, unfortunately, got sick, so Scott, Maddy and Ian started the vacation without us then Rylan and I  joined up with them two days later. Scott took the kids and Bo on a hike called Dog Slaughter Falls.




Then we rented a trailer house at Brimstone ATV Park in Tennessee. It was raining and the kids got soaked. 


The cabin he rented was . . .rustic. It was like a hotel room, two queen beds, a couch, and a small kitchenette and bathroom. It was owned by the ATV company and one of the trails went right past it so there were ATVs, UTVs and dirt bikes buzzing by. We had a deck with a porch swing and a river running behind us. We waited for the rain to stop and Scott took Rylan and I out while the kids stayed back at the cabin. When Scott originally told me about this idea of renting UTV’s I envisioned us going on a dirt/gravel trail, but we were going on a mud pit with obstacles, inclines and rocks and crossing small creeks-it was insane and I was closing my eyes for part of the time. Scott was loving it!  There was mud flinging all over us, we were wearing helmets and I am so glad because it protected my face and hair. It was pretty fun, but I don’t think I would have liked it if I had to do the driving, I would have been too much of a chicken, but I trusted Scott.  We were able to get refunded for the 2 seater, because of the rain and because we never took it out. I wish I could have taken a video, but I was afraid my phone would have gotten muddy and it probably would have been super hard to see because the ride was so bumpy.







On our first night all together there our phones warned us of a TORNADO nearby in our area for the next hour! AHH we don’t have a basement, but we were kind of on a hillside? The rain poured and I was so glad we weren’t in a tent!  Scott didn’t think we were in any danger but I was not convinced and I sat in the shower because in my mind that was the most logical place….Maddy and Ian sat in the bathroom with me for about 30 minutes. It passed and we played some games to pass the time. 


The next day we explored The Blue Heron Mines which operated from 1937, until December, 1962, when operations were no longer profitable. During that time, hundreds of people lived and worked in this isolated community on the banks of the Big South Fork River. It was an outdoor museum of sorts depicting what life was like in this community. There was an opening to the mine that you could look in and a walk through their community, the bathhouse,  family life, what their homes were like etc. There was a huge structure that was still there called the Tipple, it sorted the coal, and there was a large bridge you could walk over the big south fork river. It was pretty interesting and for the first 30 minutes, we were the only ones there. We had a picnic lunch along the river, then we asked the kids if they wanted to go on a 4-mile hike or less than one-mile hike? They picked the shorter hike! I researched hikes before we left and there was one called the Skid Bow Arch Loop that was nearby.  It was so beautiful, with a natural arch and large rock formations.  After the hike the kids just wanted to go have a campfire since last night it was cut short because of the tornado.  Scott bought more wood and we started a fire around 4:00, made our dutch oven dinner and ate way too many smores. Maddy wanted to play truth or dare...we had some funny dares (Ian running around the cabin with underwear on his head) and the kids asked us some questions about our past kid life, first kiss, first boyfriend/girlfriend, best prank etc. 








Skid Bow Arch Loop





The following day we woke up, packed up, cleaned the cabin and headed toward Corbin, Kentucky to go to the Colonel Sanders Museum and cafe. When we got there it was closed because of Covid, bummer! But you could order through the drive-thru. We got some chicken and ate it on the bed of the truck.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's HERE!

Our new nephew!

I've been picture tagged