Spring Break - Big Island
In preparation for this trip I drove the 30 minutes to Target to get some things and saw this rooster strutting around, there really are random chickens and roosters running around everywhere here! Scott and I researched the island and made our plans for the week. Getting on the airplane is always a highlight for the kids. We let Madelyn and Ian sit together and they thought that was so cool!
We decided that they best way to see the whole island was to stay on the Hilo side (east) for the first half of the week and the Kona side (west) the second half. We flew into Kona and on our way driving to Hilo we stopped at the Kona temple.
| We caught a little streaker by the fire after his shower |
Behind Rainbow falls is an enchanting banyan tree garden that the kids played in for a while
Next we went to Akaka Falls, there is a little paved trail to this 442 foot waterfall
Of course every kid had to get a drinking the waterfall picture!
Day 2: Hawaii Volcanos National Park
Now this was a actioned packed day! We stopped in at the visitor's center to get a map and get a feel for the place, the first thing we wanted to do was hike through a lava tube!
Here is a short video of what it looked like
Devastation Trail, with Mauna Kea in the background
Then drove down the Chain of Craters Road to see miles upon miles of lava fields
I was just amazed that there were little plants growing up through harden lava, we thought this lava formation looked like an elephant's skin
We stopped along the way at the Pu'u Loa Petroglyphs
Holei Sea Arch- this is what happens when lava is flowing so fast into the ocean, it makes an arch! While we were here we saw a whale jump two times about 50 yards from us! Of course by the time I had my camera ready all we saw was back and tail, but still very exciting!
Day 3: Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden & Kapolo Tide Pools
This botanical garden is my favorite in the state of Hawaii, that I have seen so far! It was so lush and green, and well marked with labels on the flowers and trees. There were so many flowers that we had never seen before! I think I took over 40 photos of just the flowers and plants!
Our attempt at a family selfie, the sun was so bright!
Day 4: Kilauea Military Camp, Punalu'u Black Sand Beach, South Point
We tried to rent cabins at the Kilauea Military Camp, but they were all booked by the time we were ready to make reservations. They had a fun little rec center that we played at when we had to check out of our cabin in the morning.
We drove around the southern tip of the island to the Punalu'u Black Sand Beach, that sand was so hot to stand on, but very cool to touch and play with. We watched the lifeguard yell at quite a few people who were collecting sand to take home with them....shh that's not allowed!
We saw some honu resting on the beach and Rylan, Scott and I saw some underwater too
Going farther south we came to South Point, the farthest southern point in the United States, Scott thought that called for an epic jump
We drove over to the Kona side at the end of this day and checked into our 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom condo at the Paniolo Greens Resort in Waikoloa.
Day 5: Pu'uhonua o Honaunau: Place of Refuge & Two Step Snorkeling
This National Park is home to some of the most significant traditional Hawaiian sites. The park showed two sides of ancient Hawaiian culture, the people of Royalty and the pu'uhonua or place of refuge (for the defeated warriors, noncombatants, and those who violated the kapu or sacred laws) which is enclosed by a great wall.
We saw how ancient Hawaiians lived and played
Right around the corner from this gem is another snorkel spot called Two Step, the waves were a little bit more rough here but the kids still wanted to try it and they each took a turn out with dad on the noodle.
On the way back to our condo we stopped at another beach called, Kahalu'u Beach Park. Oh we are so glad that we did, we were in turtle heaven! While Scott and Rylan went out to snorkel and check out the conditions, I stayed behind with Maddy and Ian. The kids were in ankle deep water near the edge of the beach when Madelyn jumps up and yells, "I SEE A TURTLE SHELL" sure enough there was a turtle just swimming around eating algae off the rocks. I told them to just stand still and to try not to follow it, and to give him space and he stayed close for a couple minutes, and Ian would tuck his head underwater and see him up close. One time he even swam right by and touched them. . . the turtle touched them, I swear they did not touch the turtle that is a BIG no, no in Hawaii and you can be charged with a hefty fine.
They were so excited after the turtle swam next to them that I had to capture it on video.
When the boys came back they had seen a couple turtles, so I jumped in and Rylan took me to the spot where they had seen him
Pure magic! I love watching them swim.
I also love these wrasse fish, their colors are so vibrant!
Ian wanted me to take him out, but we did not make it to the turtle, we were so proud of him and how brave he got snorkeling, (I guess that is what happens when you do it like 4 days in a row) :)
We stayed there until sunset
I love this picture of Rylan staring off into the sunset
Day 6: Kealakekua Bay to Captain Cook's Monument
Our last full day on the big beautiful island! We decided to go out with a bang and save our kayaking trip for last. We drove up to the bay, found a local to rent kayaks from (actually he found us) drove over to his property with a ramp, borrowed life jackets, a dry bag and a permit to be in the bay, left our slippahs, and car keys there and we were off! We kayaked for about 30 minutes to Captain Cook's Monument where the water was crystal clear
We jumped out, attached the kayaks to our bodies and snorkeled together in the cove. I had a hard time keeping track of the kayak, not letting the kayak run into anybody, holding onto Ian and taking good pictures, but there were so many fish! It was like swimming in an aquarium.
On our last day we swam at the condo pool, drove up to the northern side of the island around Waimea, tried to find a shave ice place, and hung out at a mall. We had such a wonderful time exploring this beautiful island. A ua halawai hou! (until we meet again)



















Comments