The Graduate and Moving
It all started when this handsome captain graduated on December 8th from his Captain's Career Course. He was put on the Commandant's List which means that he was in the top 5% academically of his class.
I was with the packers all day Thursday, then the movers came and loaded up our house on Friday, we cleaned as they cleared out each room, loaded up my car on the trailer so it could be pulled by Scott's truck, and we left Friday night around 5 thinking that we could drive a couple hours before bedtime. Then we realized that the running lights on the trailer were not working, so we got dinner and stayed at a hotel about 3 miles from our apt! We drove about 6-8 hours on Saturday and Sunday and were able to get to our new city Sunday night. We got the keys Monday morning from our landlords who are a couple from India. He is an ER doctor and his wife was so sweet, she held Ian for me and gave us some moving-in essentials like paper towels, hand soap, and a nice welcome bouquet of flowers. Our stuff came on Tuesday morning bright and early. Our new crib:
This house was built in the 50's as a small two bedroom. Then a garage, master suite, and family room was added on to the back a couple years ago, and the kitchen and bathrooms were redone. When we were picking houses we had the choice of A) getting a nicer, newer, and bigger house that was about 20 minutes from Scott's work, and wasn't in the best school district or neighborhood OR B) getting this smaller house that was 3 miles from Scott's work, in the TOP school district in the area, and in a very nice neighborhood. This is a picture of it on a nice sunny day, but the day the movers came it was pouring rain, but we couldn't postpone moving in because the driver had another load he needed to pick up that afternoon, so our stuff had to get out of his truck. The house is on a narrow dead end street, so the driver had to park a little up the road where it was flatter on the grass so he could pull up on to it and not block the road.

Then we realized that when it rains...surprise it is puddle city all over our walkway! So they made a ramp leading up to the door. One of the movers commented to me that it was 55 steps from the truck to the door! Oh those poor movers, moving in the rain they were troopers though, and very careful not to get our stuff wet. I bought them a hot meatball sandwich from Subway when they were done. I hope they didn't catch pneumonia after getting soaking wet and being in the cold all morning.

Now for the tour. . .
This is the view when you walk in, on the left is a small living room that is now filled with flattened boxes and random things we haven't found a home for yet. Straight on goes down into the family room (which was then blocked with a cot since our baby gate is too small). To the right is a bathroom and the kids bedrooms. . .
Rylan and Ian's room:


Madelyn's room:
that is not a very good picture, more to the left is her closet, bed and her dresser is against the wall with the door
Then we realized that when it rains...surprise it is puddle city all over our walkway! So they made a ramp leading up to the door. One of the movers commented to me that it was 55 steps from the truck to the door! Oh those poor movers, moving in the rain they were troopers though, and very careful not to get our stuff wet. I bought them a hot meatball sandwich from Subway when they were done. I hope they didn't catch pneumonia after getting soaking wet and being in the cold all morning.
Now for the tour. . .
Rylan and Ian's room:
Madelyn's room:
Then if you go back into the foyer and go straight there is the kitchen, granite counter tops, new fridge and dishwasher, it is very spacious, I LOVE IT. . .

a pantry and a deep stainless steel sink with a little window that looks into the family room
Straight on through the kitchen is the laundry room

This is going to be our junk room, you know the place where we throw or stuff down, backpacks, purse, diaper bag, mail, school papers etc. In the back corner is our deep freezer (yeah I won't have to go out into the cold garage).
a pantry and a deep stainless steel sink with a little window that looks into the family room
This is going to be our junk room, you know the place where we throw or stuff down, backpacks, purse, diaper bag, mail, school papers etc. In the back corner is our deep freezer (yeah I won't have to go out into the cold garage).
Through that door is the master suite:
Nice bay windows that look into the back yard, and a walk in closet and bathroom on the left
and a little spot to read and relax, Madelyn is my model. There are french doors going on to the back patio.
Then back out of the master and through the kitchen we are back in the foyer looking down into the family room
Notice the tools? Scott is still putting stuff back together. When I first saw this set up I immediately thought of that little dance that Tom Cruise does in "Risky Business" when he slides out in his underwear, a button down shirt and tube socks? You know the one I am talking about? Well I can't slide around in my underwear with my kids all around so I showed the video to Rylan and he is practicing the moves, there will be a video later.
Down the stairs and to the left is our dining room. That little window is above the sink in the kitchen. I told Rylan that we could play "restaurant" with that set up. I yell "order up" and slide the food through and he puts it on the table.

more to the left is going to be my crafters haven. See my cute red chair G-ma Bonnie bought me? In that white box is my table, which Scott is setting up as I type this..yahoo!

To the right as you step down the stairs is:

A nice family room and computer area in the back there. When the Christmas tree is taken down we will set up our book shelf.
A look out the sliding glass door into the back yard. That shed is very nice to have, I can actually park in the garage because we can put a lot of things out in there.

There you have it, our new place for the next 3-5 years! I think it is going to be great. We are loving the house. I have gone to Rylan's school and we met with his class and his teacher and the principal gave us a tour, and the superintendent even made an effort to come meet me and said, "ahh the military family from Idaho, I have heard about you, happy to have you here!" Everyone was so kind and wonderful, we were very impressed and thankful. All the research we did to find a great place has paid off! I think we are going to be very happy here.
and a little spot to read and relax, Madelyn is my model. There are french doors going on to the back patio.
Down the stairs and to the left is our dining room. That little window is above the sink in the kitchen. I told Rylan that we could play "restaurant" with that set up. I yell "order up" and slide the food through and he puts it on the table.
more to the left is going to be my crafters haven. See my cute red chair G-ma Bonnie bought me? In that white box is my table, which Scott is setting up as I type this..yahoo!
To the right as you step down the stairs is:
A nice family room and computer area in the back there. When the Christmas tree is taken down we will set up our book shelf.
A look out the sliding glass door into the back yard. That shed is very nice to have, I can actually park in the garage because we can put a lot of things out in there.
There you have it, our new place for the next 3-5 years! I think it is going to be great. We are loving the house. I have gone to Rylan's school and we met with his class and his teacher and the principal gave us a tour, and the superintendent even made an effort to come meet me and said, "ahh the military family from Idaho, I have heard about you, happy to have you here!" Everyone was so kind and wonderful, we were very impressed and thankful. All the research we did to find a great place has paid off! I think we are going to be very happy here.
Comments
Did you buy the house or is it part of the military stuff that you have housing?