December 2021
I turned 40! Scott got up with me and the kids and before Maddy and Ian left for the day he had me open my present, it was an Apple Watch. My Fitbit was on its last leg and it had a cracked screen so an Apple Watch was the next step up.
Scott arranged for us to stay at the legendary Brown Hotel in downtown Louisville. It's nice having an 18-year-old home to take care of things so we can leave overnight if we want. The Brown Hotel was built in 1923 and it’s one of the oldest historical buildings in Louisville. The architecture was really pretty and the paintings. We checked in and then walked about 10 minutes to the district of town with all the nice restaurants. We went to a Guy Fieri (famous chef) restaurant, it was a smokehouse and it had really good barbecue. I had the pulled pork and Scott had a pulled brisket sandwich.
Next, we killed time by shopping at Trader Joe’s and Nordstrom Rack. Then we went to the movie theater with the full intent of going to the Chosen Christmas Movie, but we saw that West Side Story had come out, which I thought wasn’t coming out until the next day! So we decided to go to that instead but we had to wait a bit for it to start. There were only two other women in the theater with us and that is it! I took full advantage of the emptiness and sang along. The music was performed so well, and the acting too.
We didn’t get back to our hotel until 11:30pm, we slept in the next morning and then went to a fancy brunch place called Wild Eggs, where I got a hash brown bake with sausage, eggs, peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms, basically all the things that my family wouldn’t eat. We also got a cinnamon roll to share. Next, we hit up the mall to get some last-minute Christmas things then we headed home just in time for Ian to get off the bus for early release at 1:30.
![]() |
| Ian adores his teacher Mr. Thompson |
![]() |
| Ian and Keaton |
![]() |
| The middle school girls |
![]() |
| Her bestie Shylo |
Rylan had his last band Christmas Concert! He has made some lifelong friends in band.
![]() |
| He spent many hot Kentucky days and evenings on this practice field. |
![]() |
| All the seniors with Mr. Cantrell and Mr. Smith |
Christmas Eve Day-
Rylan was invited to go with Kyann to her aunt's house that lives about 30 minutes away. Every year their family does an extended family Christmas Eve brunch together. He wasn’t sure what to expect but they showered him with gifts, and he met all of her aunts, uncles, and cousins and he didn’t get home till 2:00 pm. I did not like sharing him on our last Christmas together but he’s starting to kind of just be older and not really care about our silly family traditions anymore.
We watched the second movie in the Hobbit series and then we started our preparations for our appetizer dinner. We had bacon-wrapped scallops, mozzarella sticks, twice baked potatoes, barbecue little Smokies, pesto and Brie bites, pretzel bites and cheese dipping sauce, a veggie tray, salami cheese and crackers, and I made a seven layer dip that we forgot to take out of the fridge (we ate it the next day for lunch). We also had sparkling cider. After dinner, Scott read us the Christmas story from both the book of Mormon and the New Testament and we read some scriptures about some parts of Christ’s life and resurrection. The kids opened their Christmas jammies, since Rylan had already purchased Christmas jammies with Kyann I bought some jammies for M & I that match them. Then we couldn’t decide what we wanted to do next. I wanted to play games. Maddy wanted to drive around and look at Christmas lights and Rylan and Scott wanted to finish the Hobbit. Somehow we compromised and we watched the new Disney+ movie Encanto. The animation was amazing and the music was beautiful and catchy. There is no real evil, just misunderstood family dynamics.
One of my Christmas break goals was to figure out how to Dutch braid. I have the French braid down. To learn the dutch braid I have been watching tutorials and trying it out on Maddy but she gets impatient with me so I grabbed her American girl doll during the Hobbit and I practiced and practiced and then when I felt like I finally got it down and I did it on her. Success!!’ It makes the most beautiful waves, bigger than the French braid.
For our 20th wedding anniversary, we made overnight reservations at the Kentucky Castle. We have driven by the castle a couple times. I always wondered what it was. A man built it a couple decades ago then through a divorce lost his money and sold it and the new owner made it into a bed-and-breakfast, restaurant, and event center. There are about 12 rooms inside the castle and then you can also stay in the little turrets that are on the corners along the wall of the castle. It was a two-story room with a little kitchen, a bathroom, and a couch and coffee table and then you go up the circular stairs that had a king bed, another bathroom, and our favorite part a balcony looking into the inner courtyard. It was so beautifully decorated for Christmas our room had a Christmas tree and inside the main lobby they had garland and lights all strung out. We got dressed for dinner and it was probably the fanciest most expensive dinner we’ve ever had. I got a half hen on top of maple-glazed sweet potatoes, artichokes and kale chips. Scott got the filet mignon.
![]() |
| The turret we stayed in |
In the morning we slept in, found a place to eat breakfast and then headed home. It took longer than usual because there was a wreck in front of us and we were at a standstill for about 45 minutes.
The kids were right where we left them and they didn’t seem to mind that we had left. Rylan was sanitizing and cleaning his room and was ready to be out in the world. Maddy took charge of the house and the cooking. They all got a serious lecture from me because I left the house with a clean sink and an empty dishwasher and there were three meals worth of dishes in the sink.




























Comments