Rexburg & Grangeville


I don't think we would have been able to leave Lehi if we weren't going to grandma and grandpa's house in Rexburg!  We drove straight through without any stops and they were waiting for us when we got there.  Mom read bedtime stories to the kids every night and they both took turns practicing playing catch with Ian. 



We came to Rexburg a little early so Rylan could spend the weekend with the Rexburg crew before he went to his first EFY in Logan, UT with his cousin Alli. My wonderful dad offered to drive us, we chatted on the way there, and he gave us a tour of all the places he had lived, went to school and went to church. We drove by the temple and then went out to lunch at Chick Fil-la, Rylan was excited, I kept asking if he had any concerns or questions but he didn’t and I kept offering advice like, drink water, be polite, use sunblock, be inclusive with others. I had to stop myself and just be quiet. I showed dad where we needed to drop him off and he knew exactly where it was and didn’t even use GPS! I was so relieved to have him there. I went to check Rylan in and dad stayed in the car.  They had music playing and the counselors were all giving high fives saying welcome and asking if we needed help. We went through check-in got his name badge, meal card, and room key that hooked onto a lanyard, he got a cinch backpack and a shirt. He got his room assignment, on the way back to the car he saw Alli walking with her aunt,  he waved to her and they embraced and she commented on how tall he was. We chatted for a bit and we told her where check-in was and they said they would text each other and meet up. So we went back to the car, got his stuff and went to his dorm, found his room and there were two out of the 5 boys already there, they said, “hey we have a roommate” and they asked what his name was.  There was a note on his door from his counselor saying to meet him at a certain time and place with his scriptures and a pen and his cinch pack and to wear his shirt.  I lingered a little and kept thinking of things he needed to remember “hang up your church clothes, don't forget your room key, be inclusive and friendly,” then he smiled, hugged me and said “ok, bye mom” So I left and as I was walking away I thought, ugh I forgot to take a picture. So I texted him and told him to come out onto his balcony so I could take a picture, and he did. So we waved goodbye again! I walked back to the car and took some deep breaths, and I pulled aside a counselor and asked, “so I just checked my son into his dorm, is there anything else I need to do before I go?” And she patted me on my back and said, “You’re free, we’ll take it from here, he will be alright!” I felt like I was dropping him off at college and I wouldn't see him in 6 months, but it was just going to be 5 days.  I got into the car and sighed and dad said that he would take me out to Aggie Creamery to help me feel better.  It worked. We drove back to Rexburg with a stop in Pocatello.




Grandma taught Madelyn how to play Rummy and here is a picture of her giving Ian extra snuggles. 


 They love their Aunt Teralyn and the movable bed in grandma's basement!


 I was able to meet up with Meghan and Keith, they had been in Colorado for a wedding and they were driving back up north and Meghan saw on Instagram that I was in Rexburg so they made it one of their stops. We met at Porter Park to let the kids play while we chatted for a couple hours. It was so fun to catch up and see each other, and watch our kids play together.

Margaret, Ben & Lizzie decided to come join the fun, Ira and Teralyn invited us to have a BBQ in their backyard, they set up the fire pit for roasting hot dogs and marshmallows. I was able to go on some beautiful walks with mom and Margaret along the potato fields behind their house. We took the kids to Rexburg Rapids, and Bear World.


 Ellie was the star, whenever we were all together the kids and most of the adults were trying to get her attention. They put her in her stroller at the BBQ and she just sat there and the kids entertained her. Ian was playing peek a boo with her, and fake punching himself and fake falling, he got a few laughs out of her. 

We decided to fork over the money and go to Bear World! It was just over $100 to get in, and an additional $50 to get on a bus to feed the bears. We first drove through the park and saw quite a few bears walking around and just waking up. Then we bought our excursion tickets and watched the baby bear cubs playing, and did the petting zoo. There were two tame deer that let the kids pet them for a couple minutes, a couple goats even one that if you put a quarter in the animal food machine the goat would turn the knob and lift the lid himself with his nose then lick the food out of the machine! The excursion was fun feeding the bears, they came right up to the truck and would even catch the food (bread) in their mouth when we would throw it to them. Afterward, the kids did the small rides over and over again. Grandpa even went on the rollercoaster with Ian the first time. 
                                  















 We visited Teralyn at work so she could show her nieces and nephews off, and I was able to meet up with an old friend Steve Willis who works at BYU-Idaho. 

                                            

Before dropping Rylan off I asked him to give me a brief update of his day each night before he went to sleep. He called me twice and texted everynight between 10:00-10:30 These were some of his updates:

 *Today was awesome. We all got to know each other and had a great time. We met our company or our group. Alli is in my group. Got talked to by Elder Kirby. Felt the spirit strongly. Having a great time. Love you! My counselor is Samoan and he served a mission in Hawaii, I have 4 roommates and they are all really nice. 2 from Idaho and 2 from Canada

 *We had lots of classes. I loved the teachers, they were hilarious. The dance was great and yes I danced with girls. Alli is doing great and making lots of friends.

 *Classes, gamenight, pizza night, awesome, new friends, talked with girls

 *Music show, talent show, testimony sharing, felt the spirit stronger than any other time I’ve felt the spirit. I love my group. 

 His counselor was from Hawaii! They had a lot to talk about.


I love how brief they were and how he made sure to tell me he was talking to girls! I woke up at 3:45 on Saturday morning to drive to Logan to pick up Rylan and Alli.  EFY pick up was at 7 am! I listened to my music really loud to help keep me awake. When I got there Rylan and Alli didn’t want to be the first to leave, they lingered and gave hugs, I found a bathroom and sat down and waited, then by 7:20 I told them we had to get on the road. They hadn’t eaten breakfast so we went through the chick fil la drive through and headed to Pocatello to meet mom and dad. They brought Maddy and Ian with them so I wouldn’t have to wake them up so early. When we dropped off Rylan at the beginning of the week dad and I established a meeting place between the Chubbuck Walmart and a gas station. They were there when we pulled up. I think they were happy to briefly see Rylan again even if it was for a short time.  From Pocatello we drove to Boise, Scott’s flight arrived early and when he landed we were in Mountain Home.  He wanted to go to Cafe Rio for lunch, then we went to the mall to the Blue and Orange store to get some Boise State stuff, and just to look around. We then went to Ann Morrison Park to let the kids run around. M’Lynn met us there and she suggested we go to a fun place called Wahooz. It had mini golf, go-carts, arcade, bumper boats, laser tag, and virtual reality booths. We just did the mini golf, then we ate the sandwiches mom helped me pack for dinner, on our way back to the hotel for swimming. M’Lynn came too and brought her friends Aspen and Bowden to come swim. We let the kids swim until about 8:10 then we came back, showered and were all in bed by 9:30 pm. I was so tired!



The next stop was GRANGEVILLE! Our time here in the summer can best be described in this picture. Cousins, forts, guns made out of wood, getting dirty, four-wheeling, shooting guns 

 Madelyn and Maggie made a fort of their own, it even had signs



This is the first summer that we have let Rylan drive a 4-wheeler on his own. He liked giving his mama a ride.


Maggie made Ian this headband and he wore it proudly while carving a stick (with another stick, not a knife)
 Scott took the kids fishing and the kids both caught a couple. I sat on the dock and listened to my book and enjoyed the beautiful view.




We did the egg toss, the parade, and the rodeo, and Rylan actually got 3rd place in the street races and won  $1



 Alli was set up to work at the scone booth and she asked her boss if Rylan could work for the two days too! He was thrilled to earn some money, but he wouldn't let me take his picture. We did take some cousin pictures for Oma, aren't they cute!

 Before the parade, Alli set up her violin case in front of Grammy's quilt shop and played some tunes. I had Ian put a dollar in there to get the tips going. She had many songs memorized and played beautifully. She even taught Madelyn how to play a little.  She gave her her old smaller violin to take home so Madelyn can start learning how to play.




                                                






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dare Essay winner

Grandpa & Grandma Young Visit

Rylan and the Beginning of Mission Prep