Grandma & Grandpa Visit

We were privileged to have my parents come visit us in October! I begged them to stay for two whole weeks this time and they did, and it was wonderful!  They played with the kids . . .
 
Dr. Ian checking Grandma's blood pressure.
Playing Sorry Sliders, Ian is actually quite good!
                                     
Grandma's I-pad is always a good way to entertain the kids
             A visit from Grandma wouldn't be complete without her reading to her grandkids! 

 
Grandpa found these fun bubbles
                                   
                                        
                                                    
We went on some hikes through a forest preserve nearby:



Grandma showing the kids a black walnut
 Ian has to have a stick to hike with!

He did ride in the backpack for a while thank goodness, or else we would have been there all day! He likes to walk super slow and observe, and touch everything he possibly can, just like any 2 year old boy.
 Grandma taught the kids a song about the leaves turning colors and falling to the ground and Ian was singing this right in my ear for about .5 miles! 


We took them to the aquarium



 
A skyline picture of Chicago taken from a deck of the aquarium

My mom and dad are techies with their I-pads!

 

 
 Ian showing them how he can do crunches!  He works out with me sometimes, he also can do jumping jacks, mountain climbers,  and push-ups!
 We also ventured downtown to Michigan Avenue to shop at the American Girl Doll store! Mom is a doll lover by heart so it was so fun to take her down there and watch her marvel at the cute doll things.
 Maddy of course was in heaven as well!
 She was allowed to pick out an outfit for her Molly doll, (which used to be mine), these pictures were taken while in motion so they aren't really that good, but she was so cute in her boots, packers jacket, and shopping bag that I couldn't resist!  She was so proud to hold that bag and blended right in with all the hustle and bustle of the city!

 



We took them camping at Starved Rock . .
 We were here in the spring but wanted to see it in the fall, it didn't disappoint.  Our hike into Matthiesseen park was gorgeous! The leaves were just starting to turn in color.







 The lake was covered in green gunk, kinda gross!







 
 and. . .we went camping!  We couldn't believe that we hadn't gone camping as a family once all summer!  Where did it go? We had a big campsite and there weren't many people there so it was perfect.
 Scott has gotten into hammock camping, he has invested in two hammocks that the kids love to play in.  Scott and Rylan slept in them during this trip so mom and dad could have the double bed in the camper and I slept in the back with the kids on the bunks.  We were so cozy!  I love our camper with soft beds and a heater!
                                               


Rylan had a biking accident and got scraped a big chunk out of his hand.

 dad to the rescue, or torture, not sure which it is!


 My mom the avid reader, she always has a book by her side.  I love that about her.
 


Rylan learning how to cook outdoors, passing off some cub scout requirements.




I love this picture!  Rylan and my dad reading some Calvin & Hobbes comics together and laughing!

Building fires, more cub scout requirements done!


Playing cards in the camper

Riding bikes

Grandpa getting a haircut from Scott
 


 
 My heart aches to think that my kids aren't geologically close to their grandparents, but when we are able to have times like these together I realize that they still have love for one another and living hundreds of miles apart can't stop that!  We love having visitors!  Who is next?


Comments

Lisa Fox said…
oh this whole post was just so sweet! I love how loving you talk about your parents and how wonderful of a trip it was!

Popular posts from this blog

She's HERE!

Our new nephew!

I've been picture tagged