M'Lynn's 16th Birthday

My niece M'Lynn finally turned 16 and what did she ask for her birthday? A trip to come visit US! We felt so special! Not only did we have her, but her temporary sisters, two foreign exchange students that are living with her family. Vilma from Denmark, and Birgit from Austria. I pulled Rylan out of school early and we drove to the airport to pick them up. After we found the car (Leah got a little confused for a bit) we drove home let the girls rest until Scott got home then we drove into the city to eat at the famous Ed Debevic's.









This restaurant is famous for it's rude wait staff. Our waitress was no exception she threw our paper cups and napkins at us, called me a cheapskate for ordering water, wondered why Vilma talked funny then called her the foreign girl the rest of the time. She wore a tight leopard print skirt, 80's style make-up, and had a glare that could kill. She was quite entertaining. She and the other waiters and waitresses danced mid-way through our meal and she threatened us to clap. When we were ready to leave she wrote on our receipt "I am so glad you are leaving."







Then we came home and had ice cream cake for M'Lynn's birthday.














Madelyn took advantage of having all these girls here, she painted their nails, did foot massages with lotion and water, and a scrub brush, and of course TEA PARTIES!


Who wouldn't want to have a tea party with this angel though uh?







Although I think M'Lynn did get a little scared with she drank all of their "tea" and Madelyn came back and asked where it all went, M'Lynn blamed it on the unicorn, and Madelyn put her in a time out in the closet.













On Thursday after Scott came home from work we packed a dinner and headed to the city. I took them to Millienum Park, the sky was so blue and gorgeous, and the clouds were moving so fast!





We finally saw "the bean". . .what is that you might ask? Well it is art. . .







That is also a mirror. . .







In the shape of a BEAN!






Here is a faraway picture.







They have these art pieces too, that display video of people on these brick walls. In the summer water squirts out of their mouth.







We then made the .9 mile trek deeper into the city to Willis Tower (formally known as Sears Tower). This building is the tallest building in the western hemisphere and the third tallest in the world. At 1,353 feet in the air, the Ledge’s glass boxes extend out 4.3 feet from Skydeck.





On our way I learned that I was in the company of a true city girl, Vilma from Copenhagen was so helpful to me, the country girl, she knew her directions, I made sure she had a map of her own and could make sure I was going the right way.









By the time we got there, got our tickets, went to the restroom, watched a 9 minute video on the history, took the 70 second elevator ride up, the sun had just set and we got to see the twinkling lights, but it was hard to take good pictures with us in them.














Still a breath taking view.
I stole this picture off their website of what it looks like in the day time, it was a rush to stand on the clear glass and see what was below you!








On Friday Scott took the day off and stayed home with the younger kids while I took Rylan and the girls to the Museum of Science and Industry. What an exciting and overwhelming place! There was so much to see and not enough time that we had to pick and choose what was most interesting to us.







Magnetic cars


Electricity within you








Trains, which we only saw from up above








The vortex experiment, Rylan volunteered for.





Our favorite was the fetal development exhibit. They have a real fetus during every stage of incubation, week by week. It is so interesting to be able to see these babies grow and develop. I didn't feel right taking pictures because these were dead babies, some one's loss, but it was really neat to see the changes in them, babies are such miracles from God!






They also had a real muscular, digestive, and circulatory system, so gross, yet so fascinating.

Then we hopped on to the beautiful Lake Shore Drive and went north to Navy Pier. Vilma and Birgit wanted to do a boat tour of the city, so they went and did that while Rylan, M'Lynn and I went and did this. .







A 15 story ferris wheel! It was so fun to see Navy Pier from up high. Here are some pictures from the top.






Over looking the pier, Lake Michigan seems like an ocean, it is huge, has waves, beaches and has a piercing cold wind that comes off of it.






We had to document this fun ride






I made M'Lynn take this picture with me, she is better at the look than I am!








The girls along the Pier







After a little shopping we were so tired, but we wanted to experience Michigan Avenue or the Magificant Mile as it is known here. We decided to drive down it instead! CRAZY! Driving through the city is NOT one of my favorite things, but we did it! I think I got honked at about 5 times, what was I doing to get honked at? Oh not getting into the intersection fast enough, not turning into the pedestreans walking, not passing a loading bus, you know those types of things. Taxi drivers are so impatient! We survived, I am so thankful for my GPS helping us navigate everywhere.








Saturday, Scott had to go to a training so I had the kids. Vilma and Birgit wanted to go downtown again but the kids, M'Lynn and I wanted to check out Legoland. So I dropped off the "foreign girls" at the closest train station, and we headed up to the northern suburb of Schaumburg.







Le-la the giraffe welcoming us







Chicago made by legos!













Lego tables with every color and shape imaginable!

There were a two rides, this and a roller coaster










They had a construction site where you could build cars and test them out on ramps. This was Rylan's creation






Here he is trying out his creation











We also went to a 4D movie about a bunch of lego guys trying to capture a special treasure, we got sprayed with water, smelled oranges and felt wind blowing on us when we were on a helicopter. It was a lot of fun, the kids liked it and kept reaching out for things.








Saturday night we dyed easter eggs!





Ian really wanted to drink the yummy looking purple water instead of out eggs in it.







Sunday after church the kids had an easter egg hunt ready for them, I couldn't get Madelyn to look at the camera, she was too excited and was already searching for eggs.




Ian found one egg and wanted what was inside, and was done hunting.






Madelyn was pretty serious.















Scott licking some chocolate off a wrapper, back off ladies...HE IS MINE!





Getting some love from M'Lynn









Vilma helping Ian with is loot











Monday morning the girls packed their bags and we were out the door by 11:30 to drop them off at the airport. They walked Rylan to the bus stop in their pajamas, then when he came home and they were gone he cried off and on all afternoon. He wants to go live with M'Lynn and her family, and he doesn't understand why she can't just live here. So precious!


Here are some pictures of M'Lynn and me when she was about 5. My cute little niece, wow, how she has grown up. Now I get to watch her play with my daughter the same way that we used to play together, they are about the same years apart as we are.




Thanks for coming to visit us M'Lynn, Vilma, and Birgit, you were delightful and we loved having you here!

Comments

Heather said…
When I turn 16, I want to go to Chicago too :)
The Sundloff's said…
What a fun trip and an awesome hostess!!! We want to come play too! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Dare Essay winner

Grandpa & Grandma Young Visit

Rylan and the Beginning of Mission Prep