The Pinewood Derby and Rock Climbing

The week before I went to Utah Rylan and Scott were busy working on their first pinewood derby car together. Rylan was given a kit from his leader and they began by sanding it. . .

painting it black with a layer of sparkles,

Then after a couple tests, they decided that it would not be fast enough, so Scott went to the scouting store and bought a new kit with better axles. They then started over, made a new sleeker design, painted it the same, and added some flame and skull stickers.

Rylan is the kid without his scout shirt on...oops, that is what happens when dad is in charge and mom is out of town...who knows what Madelyn looked like that day?


After 3 heats he was proclaimed the WINNER! He and the 2nd place winner were VERY close. They had to do a couple tie breakers.



Rylan with his trophy, he was thrilled.

Another activity that Rylan is in to right now is rock climbing. At our gym, Lifetime Fitness (which we LOVE) they not only have exercise equipment, classes, but pools with slides, multiple basketball courts, cafe, salon, a child care center with wii's, computers, a indoor jungle gym, and a HUGE rock climbing area. I have been taking a boot camp fitness class for the past month and sometimes when I go I take Rylan to the child care center and they take him rock climbing. He has gotten pretty good and can climb all the way to the top on quite a few sections of wall. The trainers there all know him by name and one trainer really wants to accelerate his skills. I tried rock climbing a long time ago and it was HARD! You have to really be ripped in the arms to be able to pull your body up. Rylan is barely reaching 50 pounds so he is light enough that he can lift himself up I guess. I couldn't believe that he was not scared of being up so high!














Here is one of the trainers, everyone is so nice there, he was encouraging Rylan to not give up and that if he gets stuck, there is always another way up and that he was there to help.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's HERE!

Our new nephew!

I've been picture tagged