Free Breakfast
Rylan's school is offering free breakfast for any child that wants it. I don't know how I feel about this. Sure it is nice for the kids that don't get breakfast and I can understand how it would help tremendously their focus on their school work, but I kind of feel like, shouldn't they spend the money on something else that the school needs? Can't parents afford a box of $2 cereal a week? Maybe they can't and I am naive. They serve it in the first 10-20 minutes of class time, so our teachers have to give up teaching time and supervise breakfast, take time to serve and clean up. Um, is it making that big of a difference? I will have to ask Ry's teacher (who is also our next door neighbor) in a couple months if she thinks so. Anyway just wanted to get your thoughts on this issue. What do you think?
Comments
I can't answer your other questions about the money or the teachers' time; here it's done like Keith and Meghan described it.
1) our whole school district has free breakfasts- regardless of if you have free or reduced lunches. They offer it 30 minutes prior to school opening- and keep is going 15 minutes after school starts. This is good, because I know that most of the kids come from homes who either can't afford to feed the kids -or- the parents drop their kids off so early that kids literally wait outside until the doors open for breakfast. It gives the kids a place to go.
BUT
2) Alli is literally THE ONLY ONE in her school who pays for school lunches (confirmed by the lunch dude.)With that being said, I know that over 60% of the families in the school(s)[in our district] get food stamps. SO... what in the world is my tax money paying for, if it's not for feeding the children that the money is intended for.
It's really weird that your school's teachers are the ones to be in charge... it's our lunch faculty who are there monitoring the breakfast. It seems like if this is a new program, they might just be working out the kinks of it.